With a seven week old who has a terrible cough and cold the exhaustion is setting in, I can’t be bothered to cook in the evening but with a three year old toast isn’t a suitable meal. I’m needing quick, nutritious and Bertie friendly food. When I was at the butchers the other day I came across their sausagemeat, I love my local butchers chipolatas, I only ever buy theirs and no one elses match up. I’m sure they are selling the sausagemeat in preparation for Christmas but I’ve been making it into my own huge sausage roll and I have to say it’s delicious and very quick and easy to make, so I’d thought I’d share it with you all.
- 450g sausagemeat
- 1 pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 apple
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 heaped teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
- 1 egg
- bit of cream cheese
- Grate the onion and apple into a bowl.
- Add the meat and mustard, mix thoroughly, if you can bear it use your hands.
- Roll out your puff pastry onto a tin, keeping the paper underneath (to make it easier to clean).
- Put your meat on the pastry down the middle and cut the edges at an angle right up to where the meat is.
- Fold the side pastry over to make it look pretty (I just make the pattern up each time).
- Whisk egg and cream cheese together and brush over the top.
- Place into a pre heated oven at 200 degrees for 30 – 40 min.
I know it’s not the healthiest meal but with brocolli carrot mash and new potatoes it make a great treat. I reckon it can easily feed four normal adults, in our house little is left after one adult, one adult with a huge apetite and a three year old who always has seconds. For those who live in the Bishopston area of Bristol, the butchers selling this delicious meat is Dave Giles on Gloucester Road at £3.50 for 450g, I really recommend it.