It’s hardly traditional Christmas fare but houmous (or hummus for my American friends) is a firm family favourite in our house. A bowl is made for any and every occasion because it’s easy, quick and hugely delicious. High in iron and vitamin C ,it also has significant amounts of vitamin B6 making it a great winter food, or fuel to keep you fit and healthy. We absolutely love it; Joe and Emmie eat it by the bucketful which makes James and I smile because I was about 18 when I first had it and he thinks he was nearer 30!
We don’t measure anything when we make it so the details below are more or less our measurements depending on the day and distractions.
- 1 454g tin of chickpeas
- 1 Tablespoon tahini
- 1-3 cloves of garlic (depending on your taste), we usually use 2
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- A few chilli flakes are optional
- Drain the chickpeas and keep the water aside
- Put the drained chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and cumin in the food processer
- Whizz the mixture and add olive oil to the count of 5
- Whizz some more and add some of the chick pea water to get the texture/thickness you like
- Add salt & black pepper and chilli flakes if you like it on the hotter side
- Serve with crudités, pitta bread or anything really. Or eat it by the spoonful like I found Emmie doing earlier!