Elimination diet – part 2

Yesterday’s post gave the background, today I’m going to tell you how I managed the 21 days. Tomorrow will be my conclusion on the programme.


Week one

The first three days were the hardest.  I had to cut out caffeine, sugar, dairy and carbs (when I say carbs I mean pasta and potatoes, rice was allowed which I ate sparingly). As well as just eat three meals a day with no snacks, most definitely not an easy feat!

I’d read somewhere that caffeine can have an adverse affect on weight loss so I had cut down my three/four coffees a day to one coffee and one tea.  The one coffee was first thing; black and strong. It helped me to start my day after peeling myself out of bed at 7.45am (I would use my iPhone to keep the children entertained until I felt able to get up).  This was HARD, very HARD to give up.

I may have had a slight trip at the first hurdle! I went for a green tea on the Monday morning for Ed to ask if it was decaf????  Erm no……no it wasn’t. Off I went to Sainbos to get peppermint tea.  Which incidental is actually quite pleasant to drink.  I knew needing a coffee first thing just to be able to function wasn’t right so I had to persevere.

I thought I didn’t snack before, apparently I was wrong.  These first few days made me realise just quite how often I’d put some of Bertie’s sandwich into my mouth, or a bit of cheese from the fridge.

Meat/fish and veg, meat/fish and salad, meat being turkey or lamb, every meal. I was a bit bored after four meals.  I knew I had to take matters into my own hands and become inventive. My creation of avocado, basil and anchovy dressing is really good fyi!

By day four, I felt better, infinitely better. I had energy for the first time in years and the caffeine craving had gone.  I was more alert, didn’t feel tired, wasn’t snapping at anyone and more importantly I had the motivation to clean the French windows. Now that was a first!

The first weekend was the biggest challenge. Bertie had chicken pox and I was stuck in the house for three days solid.  I wanted a custard slice from Joe’s bakery but I didn’t have the means to acquire one nor interestingly enough was it included in the list of “allowed foods”.  I got through it though by trying to make some weird fake seaweed with greens which really didn’t work.

Week two

By the second week I had settled into the diet.  I knew what I needed to do and found it so much easier.  I felt that I needed to be reassured that I was doing it right and this is where the Facebook page came into its own.  I asked Ed a lot of questions. Naturally some more stupid than others but he always answered them and swiftly as well.

Week three

By week three I started to think that maybe just a bit of bread wouldn’t hurt?  I completely admit that I did eat half a buttered crumpet. When I went to put the other half in my mouth I realised that it just wasn’t all that. I didn’t want it and spat it out. If someone had told me that I would do this a month ago I would have laughed in their face. Seriously.

This was the week we were encouraged to fast. Ed educated us on fasting and that feeling hunger isn’t a bad thing.  It got to the point where I was fed up of turkey and avocado for breakfast and didn’t feel hungry first thing, so I’d skip breakfast and wait for lunch. It was really easy to do and I genuinely didn’t feel deprived.


The first three days I really felt were the biggest challenge. But, as the days went by I noticed that my appetite decreased and conversely my energy levels increased.  I had been feeling so unwell with my tummy for ages and within four days I felt 80% better.  Most probably because I’m intolerant to something that I was eating.  With the exercise I feel healthier and fitter than ever, even though I’m not back in my size 10 jeans (yet).

To be continued……