Healthy eating is a priority for most of us. But we don’t always have the time nor the inclination to invest in whipping up dinner at the end of a long day.
So I’ve been on the hunt for quick and easy, healthy meals. Ones that you can throw together whenever you walk through the door knowing that everyone will eat and there will be no moaning when it’s dished up.
This one’s kind of a cheat. It is super quick in preparation. It takes less than 10 minutes. But it uses the crock pot/slow cooker to work its magic all day whilst you’re doing your thing.
It’s absolutely bloody delicious. It smells pretty amazing as it cooks too. I can’t recommend it more highly and I have to be honest, I really hate slow cooker food normally.
- 700g / 1 ½ pounds skirt (flank) steak
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoons chopped garlic
- 175 mls /¾ cup soy sauce
- 175 mls / ¾ cup water
- 150 mls / ½ cup honey
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 spring onions for garnish
- Cut the steak into thin strips. In a bowl add the steak and cornflour and coat well
- Add the olive oil, honey, garlic, soy sauce, water and carrots to the slow cooker. Stir it all and mix well. Add the steak and mix until covered in sauce
- Cook on low 4-5 hours (on high for 2-3 hours) until cooked throughout
- Garnish with the spring onions and I served it with rice
Because I had time on my hands, I added a tablespoon more cornflour, stirred and let it cook lidless for the last hour to thicken the sauce even more.