“For my birthday I want you to make me a Key Lime Pie” he said.
“You got it” I said.
And that was that.
The very first year that we were together, and when I was nearer an Arctic Explorer than a Baker, James tasked me to make him a Carrot Cake for his birthday. Because he thought I’d fail most likely. Which is pretty stupid because I succeed at everything I put my mind to, and I did. It was awesome.
This year a Key Lime Pie was thrown at me. And until the moment it passed his lips, I didn’t know that he’d never eaten Key Lime Pie before so none of us had a benchmark. But as always, I came up trumps and this one is absolutely amazing. And so simple. SO simple to make. I put it together in less than 30 minutes.
I will be making it again.
The Key element is stretching the truth slightly. There were no Key limes used, so really it’s a Lime Pie. But who really cares?
- Cups are easy to access these days in the UK
- I didn’t weigh the ingredients in imperial and metric like I normally do when writing up a recipe because I was so strapped for time!
- 1½ cups ground digestives / graham crackers (U.S.)
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter
- 28 oz sweetened condensed milk (2 cans)
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ¾ cup lime juice
- zest from 2 limes
- 1 cup double cream
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- OR squirts of squirty cream which is what I succumbed to. See 2. above; strapped for time!
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan / 190°C / 375°F
- Mix digestive crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl or food processor. Press the crumb mixture into a pie dish and cook for 7/8 minutes until firm. Cool for 30 minutes (or 15/20 in the fridge)
- Turn the over down to 155°C fan / 175°C / 350°F
- Mix together the condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest in a bowl/food mixer. Pour the mixture into the cooled digestive crust and bake for 10 minutes
- Once cooled slightly, chill for at least 3 hours
- Just before serving whip the cream, sugar and vanilla together until stiff. Pipe in stars on top of the pie. Sprinkle with more zest if you fancy it!